Accounting students at Pittsburg State University are giving some of their spare time to provide free income tax assistance for PSU students and community members. The students, under the supervision of Dr. Becky Heath, an assistant professor in the Department of Accounting and Charles Heath, director of the Mid-America CDC, will help prepare income tax forms for PSU students and members of the community with an income of $39,000 or less, persons age 60 and older, and military members who cannot or prefer not to prepare their own tax returns. This service is part of the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program.
The tax assistance site, which is located in the computer lab of Kelce Hall, will be open from 5-9 p.m. each Tuesday and from 1-5 p.m. every other Sunday beginning Feb. 6. The dates are: Feb 6, 11, 13, 20, 25 & 27, Mar 6, 11, 13 & 27, and Apr 1, 3, 8, 10 & 15.
Items you need to bring to have your tax returns prepared:
• Proof of identification
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Current year’s tax package if you received one
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
• Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
• Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
• To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
• College tuition statement (Form 1098)
For more information, please contact Dr. Becky Heath at 620-235-6197, or Charles Heath at 620-235-4924.
For information about the VITA program, visit the IRS Web site at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=107626,00.html---Pitt State---